The Neratze Mosque is located in the center of the Old Town of Rethymno. The mosque was originally constructed as a church by the Venetians dedicated to Santa Maria and it was later turned to a monastery.
When Crete fell to the Turks, Gazi Hussein Pasha converted it into a mosque in 1657. And when the island got free from Turkish rule, the mosque was turned back into a church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos.
Today the Neratze Mosque serves as the Municipal music conservatory or Odeon of Rethymno with numerous musical performances held at its premises.
Entrance Fee: Free