Firkas fortress or Revellino del Porto as it is also known is located at the harbor of Chania in the Kountourioti coast. It was build between 1610 and 1629 by the Venetians to fortify the harbor.
The name “Firkas” comes for the Turkish word “barrack” as it was used during wartime to protect the entrance of the harbor from invaders.
The Greek flag is raised on the corner watchtower in celebration of the union of Crete with the rest of Greece in 1913.
The fortress offers a great view of the entire harbor and the lighthouse and it is definitely worth a visit.
Entrance Fee: Free